Sunday 12 July 2009

A walk around my phone

Updates time, and some photos this time!


Here is my G1 with the Zagg invisible shield on the body (not on the screen, I'm
waiting for an anti-glare screen), you can see how it makes the body shiny in a
similar way to the body around the keypad.




A crop here of the fit and below...



You can see the fit is pretty good, accurate to a millimetre or so.


Above the phone as a whole, you can see the mess I made blanking out the 'T-Mobile' logo at the top, I was hoping that it'd be alot less visible than that!



Above is the rear of the phone with the zagg invisible shield, normally very matt it's glossy with the shield added, which I actually really like.



Above you can see that on some of the corners the fit is off just enough to
leave little folds like this, a minor issue and not as obvious as this close-up
implies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now a walk around my phones three screens and some apps and widgets I'm currently using..



This is my home screen, the background wallpaper is one of my photos, not available to the masses, sorry.

Right at the top of the screen on the notification bar is 3G watchdog,
which does a similar job to Netcounter, which I'm no longer using (nothing wrong
with it, I just now prefer 3G Watchdogs way of working). It sits in the
notification bar with a simple Icon and bar which changes form green to amber to
red depending on the data you have pushed through your 3G and EDGE, if you don't
have an unlimited data plan then you need something like this to help avoid
extra fees. The thing I like about this is it's information, you can set your
maximum data allowance, cycle (monthly etc), start date, and it monitors it
warning via an icon if you are using alot, tap the icon and you can find out how
much you have used (in % and MB), and it tells you how much you will have used
by your set date if you continue at the current useage rate, so you can see if
you're overdoing it as you go along. It's also free, I like it, I'm keeping it.


Next is a huge widget that takes up 4 by 2 spaces, Weather Widget by
Android Apps, there is a free version, I have the donate version as it allows
skinning of both the clock and the weather icons. I like it due to the
information on it, a nice big clock, the date and weather current and forecast
(tap it for the next few days forecast) and you can either set it's location or
have it check via GPS every x hours. I like it alot.


Below that, standard Gmail Icon, SMS Unread Count (please can we have
some different skins?) which shows a red dot with the number of unread SMS
messages (I also have Handcent for reading sms messages, very
configurable, like it alot.), standard email icon, standard dialler & contacts
buttons. Then Quick Calendar which I needed due to the standard android
calendar widget needing 2 by 4 spaces, seems to work just fine but it's new to
me.



On my left screen I have at the top, standard google search bar, Twidget
Light
twitter client (great), Sticky Memo Widget great for me always
needing notes and lists, Money Tracker widget, a handy way of keeping
track of your money, adjust the amount when you have money come in and deduct
when you buy something (with notes so you can remember what you bought) and your
disposable income is right there (again great for me with a rubbish memory).



On the far right screen is a load of shortcuts as well as the standard android
calendar widget (which I'm leaving there while testing the one on my main
screen).

Links to: Tube Status, handy for Londoners who travel alot.

Live UK Train Times
, Handy for me planning my travel out of London, I know which
platform I need to use before I even get to the station, saves me a few minutes
(though I hate the new Icon, the old one was better, I might have to replace it with bettercut).

PureRSS
I am using until something better comes along,
it's ok but I'd prefer something in the background.

Toggle Settings
is a quicker way to change common settings.

Knot Guide
is a nice app teaching you how to tie knots, with new ones being added regularly, it's not free but all updates are and the maker is very helpful, if knots form any part of your world then this is one for you.

Bubble
a spirit level device, works well, used it a few times, great little app.

Market shortcut,
needs no introduction.

London Weather Widget mostly redundant now and will be dropping it to
make room for the battery widget again, but nothing wrong with it, very very
good widget and recommended for Londoners who want a small weather widget.

Calculator, Camera and Google Maps. I'm using Camera Pro as a camera
interface, like it alot.

Other apps I have installed that are used less often:

mAnalytics - google analytics piped into your phone, handy.

Flashlight - one of those apps that makes your screen go white with full brightness, I've had to fumble in the dark with a phone screen as the only source of light before, this means I can maximise that with one move.

Sunrise Sunset - very handy for me as a photographer knowing when the sun is doing it's thing :-)
Bettercut - for making shortcuts and changing icons, nice way to skin your phones interface.

London Tube and GetMeHome - handy for london travellers.

others mentioned on previous blog posts still apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment